former sewage pumping station Wilmersdorf
The imposing brick building served as the main pumping station of the independent sewerage system in Wilmersdorf and was built in 1903-06 as part of an industrial ensemble, largely destroyed during the war. It is inspired by the Brandenburg brick architecture and designed by architect Hermann Müller of the construction department of the drainage companies.
The prestigious, light-flooded hall is strongly characterised by the large arched windows and the saddle roof held by steel girders. In addition, the forms of the Brandenburg Gothic (buttresses, ornamental gables, pinnacles) and the change of red clinker with bright plaster fields can be found. No wonder it’s one of the “Cathedrals of Work” that spawned by 20th century industrial culture.
After the new construction of the steel and glass pump factory building in the immediate vicinity, the old hall went out of service in 1999. As a result, the hall was extensively renovated and reopened in October 2001 under the new label “Eventlocation Wasserwerk”. The flexible event location, however, lost nothing of its original industrial charm. Between pumps you can dine, get together and celebrate on 1000m² with up to 600 people.
Further information about the equipment can be found here.Equipment